Packing a hospital bag is one of your important responsibilities as you prepare for your little one. You will need a hospital bag, so will your partner and of course your newborn. Let’s not forget your first visitors, I feel like they should also have a checklist!
Here is a hospital bag checklist for every member of the family!
Hospital Bag Checklist for Mom
- Disposable underwear
- Heavy duty sanitary pads
- Linen Savers
- Nursing Bras & Nipple Cream
- 3 Pairs of Warm Socks
- Comfortable Pyjamas ( 2-3 sets). Preferably Pyjamas that button down.
- 2-3 Pairs of Comfortable Pants With a top, in case you want to change during the day
- 5 Pairs of Comfortable Underwear
- Deodorant, Soap, Toothpaste, Toothbrush, hair brush, dry shampoo (in need)
- Face creams, Lip balm,etc.
- A little makeup essentials if you wish
- Favourite music on your phone
- Headsets or Earphones
- Phone Charger
- Glasses and contact lenses if needed.
Hospital Bag Checklist for your birth partner
- Phone Chargers. With the two pin plug please, we don’t have time to worry about that.
- Phone & Camera
The Important File
- Important documents like medical aid card and information, Identity Documents of Parents, etc.
- A strong resolve -as you will be completing A LOT of forms
- Water Bottles & Juice Boxes (for mom not for you!).
- Snacks (Biltong, Potatoe Chips, Dried Fruit)
- Coke (for you, trust me) and more of mom’s favourite soft drink.
- GAME FACE, as you need to support the woman who is giving birth.
Hospital Bag Checklist for your newborn
Note that baby’s clothes (even if new) must be washed and dried at home before they can be worn. Anyway, newborn clothes on the washing line is the sweetest thing! You will feel very mom like whilst hanging them up to dry.
- 5 Vests and Baby Grows
- 5 pairs of warm little socks
- 2 Hats for baby (cotton)
- 2 – 3 receiving blankets
- 1 – 2 thicker cotton blankets
- Baby Towels
- 24 disposable nappies or cloth nappies
- Barrier (bum/nappy) cream
- Fragrance Free wet wipes
- 1 bottle surgical spirits
- Cotton wool
- Sensitive and Fragrance free baby wipes
- Fragrance Free Baby cream
Important – Baby’s Car Seat
The car seat will need to be properly installed before you can leave the hospital.
Checklist for your first visitors in hospital
- Do not wear heavy fragrances lotions and perfumes, as baby is very sensitive
- Help a new mom, and why not get her a With Love Baby Journal to help her stay on top of her newborn’s daily needs?
- Read 7 Simple Ways to Help a New mom
- Bring cool drinks, chocolate and snacks
- Warm hugs and LOTS OF LOVE!
- If mom has an older child, don’t forget to bring a treat or toy for the older child.
Download the Hospital Bag Checklist in PDF Format.